My train ticket
Vietnam Railways plan upgrades, new services
Some people have blamed the “weak service” of Viet Nam railways, compared to other means of transport, for its poor investment-attracting capacity. How would you respond to that charge?
I have to admit that investment in the railway sector is not attractive to investors, including institutions, individuals and businesses. We all know that development of railway infrastructure requires huge investment capital. That’s why in other countries, governments are the main investors in railway infrastructure.
Due to State Budget limitations, the government has to focus its investment budget on means of transport that can generate quick returns on investment. For example, with VNĐ10 trillion (US$440 million) we can build a road to boost socio-economic development of a region, but a new railway route needs a lot more money.
Besides, a railway line cannot stand by itself, but has to link with other forms of transport. However, we cannot deny that investment in the railways sector is very important in a country’s economic development. In other countries, including Russia, Japan, China, huge sums of money have been invested in the railway sector in recent years. For example, China now has some 30,000km of express rail lines.
We should also remember that railways have several advantages over other means of transport. It is fast, safe and can carry many passengers and cargo at low cost.
When we invest in a new road, the transportation capacity of that route is doubled. But with a new railway route (with a width of 1.435m), transportation capacity will increase 10 times.
What should the railway sector do to attract capital from sources outside the State budget?
At present, our investment capital comes from three main sources: the State Budget, which is used for infrastructure development; financial investment from other sectors is used to build railway stations, warehouses, dry ports, loading/unloading goods and transportation connections; and the third source, is various forms of credit. This source is typically used for maintenance work, manufacturing new carriages and locomotives or refurbishing old ones.
We have developed a plan to attract investment from the public to renovate railways stations, carriages and storage facilities.
Since funding is scarce, what are the priority areas on which Viêt Nam Railways will focus its investments?
For the immediate future, we will focus our investment in upgrading some railway stations, particularly rails running inside them, which are just 300-400m long. Now, stations can only accommodate trains with 19 coaches or wagons. Once the upgrade is completed, they will be able to accommodate trains with 25 coaches. The new stations will also be able to service 25 pairs of trains (travelling in both directions) in 24 hours.
According to our plan, by early 2018, VNR will have 100 new locomotives to replace obsolete ones. This June, we will start operating a high quality train. This will increase to four in 2018. In addition, VNR will upgrade its rail infrastructure, particularly rail bridges and tunnels along the North-South route.
What are VNR’s plans to increase connectivity when its tonnage increases?
We will have to upgrade warehouses and develop more inland container depots; and invest more in loading and unloading equipment. Of course, logistics will be a focus. More recently, the VNR signed agreements with the New Sài Gòn Port Corporation to build two Inland Container Depots - one in Sóng Thần (Bình Dương Province) and the other in Đông Anh (Hà Nội).
Does the VNR have a plan to attract more passengers?
Yes, besides upgrading trains and stations, in the near future, we will apply different ticket-sales models, including allowing reservations six months in advance and offering discount tickets.
We are planning to pilot a new service by providing free two-way transport services to passengers from the railway station to their destinations. This service will be offered on the Hà Nội-Cửa Lò, Hà Nội- Sa Pả and other routes. — VNS
- The History Of Vietnam Railways
- Vietnam Railway sector strives to compete with airlines
- Vietnam Railways Corporation has new chairman
- New railway leader vows to cut fares and improve services
- Vietnam Railways is asking for 471 billion in funding
- Vietnam Railways to sell tickets for Tet
- Dong Nai - New Ghenh bridge officially inaugurated
- VNR to sell lower train fares for Tet
- Vietnam to put railway e-ticket system into use on September 1
- Vietnam Railway sector targets modernity
- Vietnam railways - Many rail tunnels need upgrading
- Vietnam to open doors for private investment in railway infrastructure
- Train tickets booked online to be delivered to homes in Hanoi, HCMC
- Many rail tunnels need upgrading
- Hanoi hosts 36th ASEAN Railway CEOs’ Conference
- Ha Noi hosts 36th ASEAN Railway CEO's Conference
- Train tickets to be available online in next two weeks
- Train tickets to be available online
- VNR kicks off restructuring process
- Vietnam initiates $9.28mn railway e-ticket project
- Vietnam Railways undergoes restructuring
- Vietnam Railways Corporation undergoes restructuring
- Three Japanese officials prosecuted for suspected bribery in Vietnam
- Ticket Lunar New Year 2018
- Warning of cheating when buying tickets for Tet holiday
- Vietnam Railways receives new 5-star carriages for Tết
- The year of the year
- Line additional 30 toa standard 5 standards in 2018
- High quality trains like vietnam's aircraft are prepared for operation
- Livitrans Express Tourist Train
- Vietnam Railway (vnr) was set up with six new passenger trains on the north-south route
- All aboard the new Reunification Express
- Restructuring Vietnam Railways Necessity to separate freight and passenger transportation
- Six modern trains added to Vietnam’s north-to-south railway
- Vietnam Railway has officially put into operation six new trains on the Thong Nhat
- Sapa travel guide by train
- Travel to Sapa
- Travel to Sapa
- Da Nang beauty
- Discover the beauty and richness of ancient land
- Hai Phong tourism
- Visit Dalat
- Alba Thanh Tan Hot Spring
- Sapa travel experience by train 2N1Đ
- TRADE UNION QUANG NAM - DA NANG SAIGON JOINT STOCK COMPANY SUPPORTING COVID-19 PREVENTION AND PREVENTION
- DA NANG PROPOSED OPEN OPENING 2 QUESTIONAL TRAINS TO RETURN 10,000 LOCAL PEOPLE
- NOTICE: TRAINING TRAINING TP. HO CHI MINH - PHAN DEPUTY NGHIA 2/9
- WOODWORKING VESSELS FOR CUSTOMERS SHIP
- TRAINING SCHEDULE IN THE NORTH September 2, 2020: HA NOI - HAI PHONG, HA NOI - VINH
- NOT TALKS ABOUT WEEKLY OF WEEKLY
- RUNNING SCHEDULE ON HANOI - HAI PHONG LINE
- THE FIRST TRAIN OF THE NHON METRO LINE - HANOI STATION
- RETURN PROPERTY OF PASSENGERS TO FORGET ON THE TRAIN
- DA NANG PROPOSED RETURNING TRAVEL, IRON AND AIR CONDITIONER
- NOTICE: STOP 1 STARTING TO PAY PASSENGERS FOR TRAINS: SE1, SE2, SE8
- There is a market train going into my life!
- TICKETS WILL BE SELL IN FIRST OCTOBER 2021
- NEXT INFORMATION ABOUT TAN TAN USE 2021
- Storm warning
- SHIP UNIQUE TOP 10 BEST BEAUTIFUL TRAINS IN THE WORLD
- ANNUAL REPORT ON EXPORTING ANTI-AGING PAGE FOR THE IRON INDUSTRY
- OFFICIAL OPENING TICKETS FOR TET TAN TAN 2021 FROM 8.00 PM ON OCTOBER, 2020 /20
- SAIGON IRON ROAD TRANSPORTATION COMPANY GIVES A GIFT TO SUPPORT CNV AFFECTED BY COVID-19 TRANSPORTATION AND COMPLETE SCENE
- IRON ROAD TREATMENT TRAIN WASTE WASTE, ENVIRONMENTAL ENVIRONMENT
Book your train ticket in 3 steps
We are here for you
The more tickets you book , the cheaper price you get
In our booking system you will always find the lowest fares for all Vietnam carriers.