My train ticket
Three Japanese officials prosecuted for suspected bribery in Vietnam
VietNamNet Bridge - Japanese authorities have announced the prosecution against the Japan Transport Consulting Corporation (JTC) and its three officials in relation to a bribery incident involving railway projects in Vietnam that receive Official Development Assistance funds.VietNamNet Bridge - Japanese authorities have announced the prosecution against the Japan Transport Consulting Corporation (JTC) and its three officials in relation to a bribery incident involving railway projects in Vietnam that receive Official Development Assistance funds.
The three JTC officials include former chairman Tamio Kakinuma, 65, former CEO Tatsuro Wada, 66 and former board member Koji Ikeda, 58, reported Asahi Shimbun.
The Japanese newspaper quoted the Tokyo Procuratorate announcement and several other sources as saying that Wada and Ikeda gave a total of 69.9 million yen (over $690,000) in cash to a number of officials of the Vietnam Railways Corporation from December 2009 to February 2014. Kakinuma was convicted for approving 6 million yen of this amount.
The scandal was detected in April 2013 after Tokyo tax authorities discovered several unusual expenses related to JTC's five ODA projects. T
In March Kakinuma also had to explain this matter before the investigators of the Tokyo Procuracy. In total, JTC allegedly spent 160 million yen as kickbacks for projects in Vietnam, Indonesia and Uzbekistan, reported in April by the group of lawyers for JTC.
In June, Japan announced that it would suspend ODA for Vietnam to wait for results of the investigation of this bribery allegation. To date, six officials of Vietnam's railway sector have been arrested for investigation.
Under Japanese law, bribery in cash or benefits to foreign officials carries a prison sentence of up to five years and fine of up to 5 million yen.
Meanwhile, the authorities in Vietnam said they could not reveal more information because the incident is under investigation.
Coming to Vietnam in 1993, JTC has participated in over a dozen railway projects. Its clients in Vietnam are the Vietnam Railway Corporation, the Japan International Cooperation Agency (JICA), the Bank of Japan for International Cooperation (JBIC) and a number of other units.
JTC has also been involved in many other advisory partnership in a number of projects using Japanese ODA, such as the Ben Thanh - Suoi Tien metro and the Bien Hoa - Vung Tau railway project.
- The History Of Vietnam Railways
- Vietnam Railways plan upgrades, new services
- Vietnam Railway sector strives to compete with airlines
- Vietnam Railways Corporation has new chairman
- New railway leader vows to cut fares and improve services
- Vietnam Railways is asking for 471 billion in funding
- Vietnam Railways to sell tickets for Tet
- Dong Nai - New Ghenh bridge officially inaugurated
- VNR to sell lower train fares for Tet
- Vietnam to put railway e-ticket system into use on September 1
- Vietnam Railway sector targets modernity
- Vietnam railways - Many rail tunnels need upgrading
- Vietnam to open doors for private investment in railway infrastructure
- Train tickets booked online to be delivered to homes in Hanoi, HCMC
- Many rail tunnels need upgrading
- Hanoi hosts 36th ASEAN Railway CEOs’ Conference
- Ha Noi hosts 36th ASEAN Railway CEO's Conference
- Train tickets to be available online in next two weeks
- Train tickets to be available online
- VNR kicks off restructuring process
- Vietnam initiates $9.28mn railway e-ticket project
- Vietnam Railways undergoes restructuring
- Vietnam Railways Corporation undergoes restructuring
- Ticket Lunar New Year 2018
- Warning of cheating when buying tickets for Tet holiday
- Vietnam Railways receives new 5-star carriages for Tết
- The year of the year
- Line additional 30 toa standard 5 standards in 2018
- High quality trains like vietnam's aircraft are prepared for operation
- Livitrans Express Tourist Train
- Vietnam Railway (vnr) was set up with six new passenger trains on the north-south route
- All aboard the new Reunification Express
- Restructuring Vietnam Railways Necessity to separate freight and passenger transportation
- Six modern trains added to Vietnam’s north-to-south railway
- Vietnam Railway has officially put into operation six new trains on the Thong Nhat
- Sapa travel guide by train
- Travel to Sapa
- Travel to Sapa
- Da Nang beauty
- Discover the beauty and richness of ancient land
- Hai Phong tourism
- Visit Dalat
- Alba Thanh Tan Hot Spring
Book your train ticket in 3 steps
We are here for you
The more tickets you book , the cheaper price you get
In our booking system you will always find the lowest fares for all Vietnam carriers.