My train ticket
The History Of Vietnam Railways
Vietnam Railways is the owner of Vietnam’s railway system, which was built during the 1880s – in the time of the French colonial rule – and runs a total of 1,600 miles. Vietnam Railways primarily uses a metre gauge. However, in the North areas of the country, there are also mixed gauge and standard gauge lines.
Soon after the first railways were set up, including a tram that ran from the ports of Saigon and Cholon and a regional railway that linked MỹTho with Saigon, construction of the railway took off (between 1897 and 1902 during Paul Doumer’s administration as Governor-General of French Indochina).
During this time period, the North-South and Yunnan-Vietnam railways were started. It took more than 30 years for the construction of North-South line, with operations kicking off in 1936. The other branch lines were wrapped up during this time. At the start of the Second World War, various groups targeted the Vietnam railways. During the Vietnam War, these groups included the South Vietnamese and South Vietnamese troops.
During the late 1980s, the DoiMoi reforms led to an increase in economic growth, which pushed the Vietnam railways system into a new development phase. The official development assistance proposed or had put into motion several big projects. This includes an array of projects to better railway and bridge safety on the North-South Railway line, networks to Laos and Cambodia and the restoration of several obsolete lines like the Da La-Thap Cham railway, which was set up during the 1930s.
While the main lines of the North-South line were restored in a rapid pace and back in service, many branch lines were abandoned and dismantled after the conflict had ended. The infrastructure of these lines was used to fix the main lines’ damaged areas or became scrap material.
Another proposal for a high-speed rail link between Ho Chi Minh City and Hanoi was also proposed. This link would decrease the travel time from 30 hours to about six hours. Ground has also been broke on a Vietnam Railway line from Savannakhet to Lao Bao, adjacent to the Thai Railhead to Bangkok.
- Vietnam Railways plan upgrades, new services
- Vietnam Railway sector strives to compete with airlines
- Vietnam Railways Corporation has new chairman
- New railway leader vows to cut fares and improve services
- Vietnam Railways is asking for 471 billion in funding
- Vietnam Railways to sell tickets for Tet
- Dong Nai - New Ghenh bridge officially inaugurated
- VNR to sell lower train fares for Tet
- Vietnam to put railway e-ticket system into use on September 1
- Vietnam Railway sector targets modernity
- Vietnam railways - Many rail tunnels need upgrading
- Vietnam to open doors for private investment in railway infrastructure
- Train tickets booked online to be delivered to homes in Hanoi, HCMC
- Many rail tunnels need upgrading
- Hanoi hosts 36th ASEAN Railway CEOs’ Conference
- Ha Noi hosts 36th ASEAN Railway CEO's Conference
- Train tickets to be available online in next two weeks
- Train tickets to be available online
- VNR kicks off restructuring process
- Vietnam initiates $9.28mn railway e-ticket project
- Vietnam Railways undergoes restructuring
- Vietnam Railways Corporation undergoes restructuring
- Three Japanese officials prosecuted for suspected bribery in Vietnam
- Ticket Lunar New Year 2018
- Warning of cheating when buying tickets for Tet holiday
- Vietnam Railways receives new 5-star carriages for Tết
- The year of the year
- Line additional 30 toa standard 5 standards in 2018
- High quality trains like vietnam's aircraft are prepared for operation
- Livitrans Express Tourist Train
- Vietnam Railway (vnr) was set up with six new passenger trains on the north-south route
- All aboard the new Reunification Express
- Restructuring Vietnam Railways Necessity to separate freight and passenger transportation
- Six modern trains added to Vietnam’s north-to-south railway
- Vietnam Railway has officially put into operation six new trains on the Thong Nhat
- Sapa travel guide by train
- Travel to Sapa
- Travel to Sapa
- Da Nang beauty
- Discover the beauty and richness of ancient land
- Hai Phong tourism
- Visit Dalat
- Alba Thanh Tan Hot Spring
Book your train ticket in 3 steps
We are here for you
The more tickets you book , the cheaper price you get
In our booking system you will always find the lowest fares for all Vietnam carriers.